Thursday, January 3, 2008

A very sad moment

Sallie and I have been emailing this morning about how big our girls have gotten. She got sad last night as she hung Brantley's personalized-signed High School Musical pictures on her wall and I realized how big Graisi had gotten.

I was playing with Alli Claire in the jumpy thingy in the livingroom last night and Graisi wanted me to do some of the same stuff to her. Like pushing her backwards or making her do a flip. I couldn't because she's gotten so big. In the middle of playing, she declared that big kids want to act like babies sometimes and be loved on like babies, too. So after we were done playing, Graisi climbed up in my lap and layed down for me to love on her (Alli Claire put up quiet the protest!). Her head was under my chin. Her feet were hanging off of mine and her legs were intertwined with mine. Then it hit me. She got big and I missed it. I missed it! How could I miss something so important?? I mean, I'm there with the camera every time they turn around and Martin video tapes every event they've ever been in. So, how I ask, could I have missed this?

I know yesterday I said I don't make New Years Resolutions, but I'm going to make and exception, because I can. I'm Shelli. It's my blog and I make up my own rules as I go :o) So here goes...

I resolve to not let my day-to-day activities distract me from watching my babies grow.
I resolve to cuddle and love on Graisi more and not make her feel like I'm loving on Alli Claire more than her.
I resolve to read more to the girls.
I resolve to go to the park more - even when it's cold.
I resolve to not miss my kids grow.

Graisi and Alli Claire,
Years from now when you're reading this, always know I love you very much! Unconditionally. Without boundaries. As you grow older, I want to you remember me playing with you and watching your favorite movies with you. I want you to remember beating me in Uno :o) OVER and OVER. I want you to remember how much I love the Lord Jesus and hold firm in your faith. Graisi, I believe you can be anything you want to be - even if it's a movie star who plays a veterinarian on tv (because you can't make up your mind whether or not you want to be a movie star or a veterinarian - so you combined them!) or the "pumper girl" at Wal-Mart. As long as you're happy, that's all that matters! I want you to remember our afternoons at the park playing or feeding the ducks that nibble our fingers. I want you to remember how much your mom and dad love each other. Unconditionally. Without boundaries. Remember our Sunday's at church and our afternoon naps. Remember our nightly devotions. Remember making candy with Daddy and waiting for Daddy to come home every afternoon to get your kiss and hug from him. Remember our lazy Saturday's where we all pile up in our bed and watch tv and snuggle. Remember our Christmas traditions of putting the Night Before Christmas balls on the tree, reading The Night Before Christmas on Christmas Eve and hiding the Christmas pickle. Remember our trips to the zoo and museums. There are so many things I want you to remember, but most of all I always want you to feel the love that your mom and dad have for each of you. We want to be there to support and enjoy all of your adventures! May they take you far....

Your very honored and blessed parents,
Mommy and Daddy

4 comments:

Sallie said...

Ok - I am crying now - thanks ALOT!

Brian said...

Very sweet post.

I hate to break up the sentimentality, but... what's a pumper girl at Wal-Mart?

Alecia said...

Shelli,

This was beautiful. I got teary-eyed and had to immediately run and give the girls big hugs. I feel like it's going by too fast too.

Graisi and Alli Claire are very lucky to have such wonderful parents who love and support them so much.

Anonymous said...

Brian,
Every year on Grant's birthday we get balloons for his grave. On his 3rd birthday, Graisi and I ran into Wal-Mart to have some blown up. As we were walking out of the store, Graisi announced she wanted to grow up and be a "pumper girl" at Wal-Mart. So, I had to ask... She said it was the girl who got to pump up the balloons behind the counter :o) So there you have it in true Graisi fashion....