Friday, January 25, 2008

I pulled another "Shelli"...

When I got off work yesterday, I put together my grocery list for Martin's birthday dinner, complete with a cake. The girls and I braved the grocery store and got back home without very much damage done. I got the spaghetti sauce put together, the cake in the oven and was right on track to have dinner prepared when Martin got home. Martin got home and Graisi and I were getting everything finished up in the kitchen when she asked if we could go ahead and put the candles in the cake. I said, "Sure"... and this is when the "mishap" happened. She'd picked out these really REALLY thin sparkly candles that would be special for her Daddy. Well, when we put the candles in the cake, they all started falling over. I stood there perplexed and then it dawned on me. They were melting inside the cake!!! You know it's been well documented that I usually don't or can't cook. I failed to realize that even though the cake had somewhat cooled on the outside, the inside was still pretty hot and it quickly melted the very thin candles. Graisi looked at me, giggled and said, "Are we going to tell Daddy?" to which my response was, "Umm, well, no!". I mean, those little candles couldn't have put that much wax into the cake, right? And I can assure you that they are non-toxic. I mean, I've eaten enough of them to know... (for my friends: when the white crayons were gone, there was always wax candles :o) And what do you know... he didn't even realize there was a slight incident that happened with his cake :o) I consider this a win-win situation. Sorry, Honey, but I hope you still enjoyed your cake last night... I do love you, but you knew I couldn't cook when you met me. I guess, some things just never change, huh?

No comments: