Monday, June 18, 2007

An Eventful Weekend

Let's just say it started off very well and ended very well, but the middle was a little eventful.

Martin took Graisi skating and I took Alli Claire shopping. While I was getting her ready and brushing her teeth I discovered she had already cut two new teeth and another one will cut in the next couple of days.

When AC and I got home she was asleep in her carseat. As we all know, you don't wake a sleeping baby so I let her finish out her nap in her carseat. When she woke up I nursed her and she started grunting and developed a fever. She naturally grunts when she doesn't want to do something or doesn't want you to do something, but this was different. She would grunt and cry or whimper. She was lethargic and glassy eyed. She couldn't get a good deep breath. I called the nurse and she said and I quote, "I don't want to alarm you, but when we hang up you need to call 911." Don't want to alarm you..... She obviously didn't know who she was talking to! So I called 911 and the paramedics and ambulance came but by then her breathing had calmed down and she was breathing somewhat normally. Her oxygen level was 98 and her lungs sounded "a little tight" but nothing to worry about. Immediately after they left she started again. I called the nurse back and she instructed me to call 911 again and have them transport her to Children's Hospital via ambulance. The paramedic heard her wheezing for about 4 breaths and then it was gone. I was strapped onto the bed and holding Alli Claire on my chest and she took a nap during the ride. By the time we arrived at the hospital she was our happy, friendly baby. She waved at the doctors and nurses. She was smiling and babbling at them. They had no idea what caused her distress but they guessed it was either an asthma attack or reflux.... her chest x-ray was fine. She had another little attack before she went to sleep and Martin got it on video just in case it happens again and we don't have the camera. It was eventful.

Needless to say, I didn't have the opportunity to make Martin's Father's Day card like I'd hoped. But Graisi had made him one and gave him her penguin rock she made in Summer Quest and Alli Claire had made him a footprint at pre-school. We went to church and came home. Martin laid out all of the ingredients for a chicken casserole and gave me detailed instructions on how to make it, so I technically made him a Father's Day lunch :o) I was not gifted in the cooking arena. We all got to take naps except for Graisi who was very quiet for the rest of us. She was totally involved in TV watching since she normally doesn't get to watch it. We all had a really good afternoon.

No comments: