Thursday, March 29, 2007

A tribute to my childhood dentist

I've been wanting to do this since my last dentist appointment but have never gotten around to it. So, I'm going to stop and take the time.

I want to thank my childhood dentist, Ken Howard DMD, for giving me a great attitude towards dentists. See, I've ALWAYS LOVED going to the dentist. It doesn't matter if I'm going for a routine cleaning or having major dental work performed, I love to go. I actually look forward to my visits. Is this sadistic? No, not really if you really know me. I think it has something to do with him believing in nitrous oxide gas (aka: laughing gas). Now, does this explain it? Dr. Howard always put the gas on at the beginning of the visit and removed it after the shots went in. Even at a young age, I really wish he had left it on longer (are you shocked??). My current dentist does leave it on until I walk out of the door. I call it my mini vacation which makes her laugh. I know people who refuse to go to the dentist because of fear. I feel really sorry for these people because I know what they're missing....I mean HOW do you not love the laughing gas?? I'd let them do a root canal on every tooth if they'll just give me the gas! If you still don't like going to the dentist, they don't have the gas turned up high enough! It really is ok to ask them to turn it up....I did. So, you might ask.... is this really a tribute to my childhood dentist or my need for nitrous oxide to go to the dentist? Does it really matter? The gas gets me there and it makes me like my dentist :o) Thank you Dr. Howard!!!!

1 comment:

Alecia said...

I feel the same way about my current dentist. He uses gas on EVERYTHING (even just cleanings) and he also has a massage chair, cd player, and TV on the ceiling for me to watch while it all happens. I don't even get that relaxed at home. Ditto on the vacation!