It's 3:08am and I can't sleep. Would you like to know why? Well, I'm going to tell you anyway...
Almost 6 hours ago, I backed into our Maxima with our Tahoe as we were leaving Ed and Sallie's house after celebrating Alli Claire and Ed's birthdays. You see, when I parked, I parked heading out of the neighborhood. I'm not one of these "backer inner" people (by the way, if you are one of these people, you get on my nerves tremendously... it takes way to long for you to park while others have to sit and wait and it saves you all of 14.3 seconds to back up to get out of a parking space). So back to my story. So, I'm not one of those people and I'm also a creature of habit. 99% of the time, I put my car in Reverse before I put it in Drive. It was 9:15pm and I was tired. There was lots of birthday planning involved this day and two parties to coordinate. My mind needed a rest from all of the festivities. My brain was on auto-pilot by this time. My routine kicked in and put the truck in Reverse. I know it rolls back a little if I'm parked on an incline (which I was) but it was rolling back a good bit what is the first thing you do? Give it gas of course and that's when I heard and felt the CRASH! And yes, in case you're wondering, the girls were in the car with me... I'll save you from the phrase that Martin uttered as I exited my vehicle, but it wasn't nice or pretty. I felt horrible, nauseated and stupid. The Tahoe has a steel bumper on the back so it came out of the mix pretty well. The Maxima did not. It has a buckled hood, cracked headlight and a crushed front bumper. It's shocking what 5 miles per hour or less will do to a vehicle! And to top it off, (have I mentioned we have a smart-mouthed 8 year old??) Graisi got out of the truck and said.... "Well, that wasn't a very good thing to do!" Our reaction also wasn't very nice to her observative statement. She quickly got back into the truck. We got home, I put the girls to bed and Martin got home. I wasn't sure if I should hide, pretend I was asleep or discuss the situation head-on. I decided to avoid it all together and went through our nightly ritual of watching television in bed and eventually nodding off to sleep. Not a word was said and now I'm up at 3:29am... I'm tired, sleepy and still nauseated at the cost of what it's going to take to make the needed repairs. But, I think the worst part of the whole thing is knowing Martin is upset with me.
I think God is using this to teach me a lesson. Earlier at dinner, as we were preparing to sit down to eat, Graisi spilled a whole cup of lemonade in the floor. I gave her a pretty hard time about it and told her to pay closer attention to what she was doing. I guess the same could be said for me, huh?? It's amazing how God uses little lessons to teach us big ones. I just wish I could have learned mine in a less costly way.... maybe a broken arm or leg would have sufficed don't cha think??
2 comments:
I'm so sorry. I was worrying about you all night. Are you better this morning?
As Dustin would have said, "It's just a car." Or in your case, it's just two cars! :) Everybody is ok. That is what is important. Cars can be fixed. Love you! Wendy
Post a Comment