Last night was baby Oliver's funeral. I was ok until I saw Sidney and her mom, Helen sobbing as their hearts broke. I stood there wishing I could do or say anything that would ease their pain but then remembered that there was nothing that could be done or said. So I hugged each of them and prayed as I stood there holding them and crying with them. It was then that I realized the Lord had healed my heart, gave me peace and honored me with the gift of true compassion for the others who go after me. Please pray for their family as the many days, weeks and months pass without their baby boy. A heart may heal, but there will always be a scar...
I left Sydney with a few tokens of remembrance like I received after Grant died. They weren't the exact ones, but I would encourage anyone to do this for a parent who's child has died. It meant and still means a great deal to me when I look at those items and remember the person who gave them and the love that was sent with them. I'm not sure why, by candle light has always comforted my heart... as if it were alive. I left Syd with a votive to sit beside her bed and light as often as she needs to in memory of Oliver's life. I gave her a heart prism to remember the moments in time that will always remain in her soul and a "Hope" token for her future. Like I said, it wasn't much, but sometimes the little things mean the most. When you don't have the words to express how you feel, sometime a token of love says it all.
No comments:
Post a Comment