Saturday, May 3, 2008

Her first protest

Graisi participated in her first protest last weekend. As we prepared out home last Sunday for the Open House I declared the bird's nest on the front porch MUST come down. Over the previous week, Graisi and I had watched the little birdlets build their nest out of sticks, straw, mud and anything else they could find. But it HAD to come down upon the impending Open House. So I armed Martin with a garbage bag and a paint scraper and sent him out the front door to evict our new squatters. Just about the time Martin was to scrape the nest off of the ledge Graisi (with tears in her eyes) said, "Daddy... how would you like it if someone came and tore our house down? We wouldn't have anywhere to live either..." Martin walked into the house and declared he could NOT take the nest down and that Graisi was in tears on the front porch swing. So the birds got to keep their nest.... for now. And all of our worlds were happy again. Not to mention Martin was being dive-bombed by the perspective parents the whole time he was out there :o)

As of last weekend there were no eggs in there, but today, look what we found.... I had no idea they had lined the nest with soft feathers to keep the babies warm and off of the bottom.


As I sit on the sofa, I'm able to watch the birdies prepare to be a family of 6. (Actually, I can only see the top of Mama Birds head and her tail feathers, but none the less it's exciting! Where is Ed when you need him?? We need a Bird Cam.

No comments: